231-922-9460 | Google +

Friday, September 12, 2008

Even Lenders Can't Serve Two Masters

The review by James R. Hagerty of Robert J. Shiller's book "The Subprime Solution" (Business Bookshelf, Sept. 3) is of great interest to me. I was part owner of a mortgage banking firm and in the business for over 40 years. In 1993, as the loan brokers started to become a force in the business, I decided it was time to retire. Mr. Shiller states what my concern was, that you can't serve two masters.

He also points to the Raleigh real-estate agents that have been given a free pass in the many articles I have read on the subject. I have wondered about this, as they are usually the initiating party in a purchase transaction and recommend loan brokers and/or lenders.

Aside from this aspect of mortgage lending, some of Mr. Shiller's proposals may offer solutions to this part of our economy that is in disarray.

By: Roger Norton
Wall Street Journal (Editorial); September 10, 2008